Rockhampton Mountain Bike club holds regular social rides at First Turkey Mountain Bike Reserve.
Amongst these are twice-weekly night rides conducted on Tuesdays and Thursdays, however the start times may vary depending on the time of year.
In winter, we also hold random day rides on weekends. These vary due to most of our races being held during the cooler months.
Social Rides – requirements
- a mechanically sound mountain bike.
- helmet, suitable footwear, and protective wear suitable to the trails.
- basic tools, pump, spare tube, drinking water, phone, and first aid kit for treating minor injuries.
- If riding at night, you will need a helmet light, handlebar light, and insect repellent.
- At least some experience riding on MTB trails. You need to be familiar with the operations and handling of your bike, and comfortable riding on the type of trails that will be ridden on each particular ride. As a general guide, Turkey Roll rides are for slower or less experienced riders, however you still need to be comfortable riding both green and blue trails. Thursday night rides are for experienced riders, are quite fast paced, and may include black trails.
Social Rides – safety and rules
- You must be an MTBA member. If you aren’t already a member, you can join up for a trial membership.
- Each social ride has a lead rider and usually a ‘sweeper’ who tails the slowest rider. Riders must ride between the leader and sweeper at all times and follow their directions.
- If you have to leave the ride early, you must notify the lead rider or sweeper. Don’t just leave.
- We will attempt to keep the ride as safe as possible however mountain biking is a strenuous and hazardous sport. Do not ride beyond your ability. Your personal safety is entirely up to you.
- Unlike road cycling, the speed is NOT constant or predictable. Never tail-gate another rider’s back wheel because you definitely crash into them.
See you out on the trails!