Rockhampton Mountain Bike club holds regular social rides at First Turkey and other locations around the Rockhampton area.
Amongst these are twice-weekly night rides conducted on Tuesdays and Thursdays, however the start times may vary depending on the time of year.
Social Rides – requirements
- a mechanically sound mountain bike.
- helmet, suitable footwear, and protective wear suitable to the trails.
- basic tools, pump, spare tube, drinking water, phone, and first aid kit for treating minor injuries.
- If riding at night, you will need a helmet light, handlebar light, and insect repellent.
Social Rides – safety and rules
- You must be an MTBA member. If you aren’t already a member, you can join up for a trial membership.
- Each social ride has a lead rider and usually a ‘sweeper’ who tails the slowest rider. Riders must ride between the leader and sweeper at all times and follow their directions.
- If you have to leave the ride early, you must notify the lead rider or sweeper. Don’t just leave.
- We will attempt to keep the ride as safe as possible however mountain biking is a strenuous and hazardous sport. Do not ride beyond your ability. Your personal safety is entirely up to you.
- This isn’t road cycling. Never tail-gate another rider or you will crash into them.
Social Rides – Novice Night special notes
On Tuesday nights we hold Novice Night social rides. These take place on green and blue trails which are generally suitable for less experienced or slower riders, but they are NOT suitable for absolute beginners.
Night riding requires additional skills to daylight riding as nearly all of your attention is devoted to the trail and surroundings. Riding on single-track in the dark is not the time to be learning how to ride your bike.
If you are totally new to riding, we recommend that you take part in a day-time social ride first or hit some of the local green trails on your own until you feel comfortable with the operations and handling of your bike.
See you out on the trails!